Between 20-22 September 2020, XIІ Republican Student Olympiad on Tourism Specialization was organized and carried out in a remote format by the department of "Tourism", Faculty of Economics of L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University. Applications for participation in the Olympiad was submitted by 18 universities of Kazakhstan that train specialists in the field of tourism, including the Kazakh American Free University, UIB University , International Kazakh-Turkish University. Yassavi, Karaganda State University named after E.A. Buketov, Kokshetau University named after A. Myrzakhmetova and others. According to the results of the first qualifying round, which was held in absentia, 15 teams were admitted to further stages of the Olympiad.
Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs of L.N. Gumilyov ENU, E.A. Ongarbaev, Dean of the Faculty of Economics, S.B. Makysh, and the head of the department "Tourism" L.M. Mutalieva, gave a speech within the framework of the opening ceremony of the Olympiad, following by the teams’ defence of the projects. The projects presented by the students were evaluated by a jury that included:
2. Esilov Asylkhan Burambekovich - Director of the Corporate Fund "Turistik Kamkor ", Deputy Chairman of the Jury;
3. Dzheksenova Ainur Ersainovna - head of the promotion, advertising and marketing department of the Tourism Industry Committee of the MKS RK, deputy chairman of the jury;
4. Adambekov Askar Baykaliuly - Deputy Chairman of the Management Board of “Astana Invest ”, member of the jury;
5. Abzhanova Saltanat Agzamovna - director of NT " Arman- Tour", School of guides, translators, tour guides, member of the jury;
6. Musina Kamshat Pazilbekovna - acting Professor of the Department "Tourism", L.N. Gumilyov ENU, member of the jury;
7. Mutaliyeva Lyaila Maratovna, Head of the Department of Tourism, .N. Gumilyov ENU, member of the jury .
In general, the team were able to provide sufficient topical projects, which were affected by issues of application of SMART Technologies in the tourism sector. In the opinion of the jury, the implementation of the projects presented in practice would give an additional input to the development of domestic tourism in modern conditions.
As a final stage of intellectual competition the test was held among participating students. It should be noted that the 3rd stage of the Olympiad was planned to be held in the form of active competition in tourism technology and tactics, but in view of the epidemiological situation in the country, this stage was carried out in the form of testing.
In general, according to the results of completing tasks for each stage of the Olympiad, the following teams took prizes:
- Grand Prix - Team of the L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University;
- 1st place - the team of the Karaganda State University named after E.A. Buketova;
- 2nd place - teams of the International Kazakh-Turkish University. H.A. Yasawi and Narxoz University;
- 3rd place - teams of UIB - University of International Business, Turan University and Kyzylorda University named after Korkyt Ata.
In the individual competition, the following students took prizes:
- 1st place - Turarbekov Nurbol Erkinuly (International Kazakh-Turkish University named after H.A. Yasavi);
- 2nd place - Salimova Adiya Maratovna (Eurasian National University named after L.N. Gumilyov) and Artykova Tomiris Muratovna (Karaganda State University named after E.A. Buketov);
- 3rd place - Temirlan Zhumataev Maksatovich (Narxoz University), Elizaveta Alexandrovna Shipilova (E.A. Buketov Karaganda State University) and Alimzhan Maksatovich Merekenov (Turan University).
In addition, the teams were awarded with certificates in separate nominations:
- "Tyn takyrypka zhol salgan" - the team of M. Auezov South Kazakhstan State University;
- "Zhas serpilis" - the team of the South Kazakhstan Humanitarian Institute named after M. Saparbayeva;
- " Tourism zergeri " - the team of the Kazakh American Free University;
- "Parasatty agyly men kaysarlygy ushin" - the team of the Kokshetau University named after A. Myrzakhmetova;
- "Zheniske degen zhigeri ushin" - the team of the Aktobe Regional University named after K. Zhubanov;
- "Belsendіlіgі men іzdenіsі ushіn" - the team of the Kazakhstan Innovation Academy;
- "Innovationlyk zhoba" - the team of the Kokshetau State University named after Sh. Ualikhanov.
It should be noted that the right to host this Olympiad is transferable and passes to the university, whose team took 1st place in the Olympiad in the individual competition. So, within the framework of this Olympiad, the first place in the individual competition was taken by the student of the team International Kazakh-Turkish University named after HA. Yassaui and the right to host the XIII Republican student subject Olympiad next year is transferred to this university.
Administration of L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University, Olympiad Organizing Committee, representatives of the jury express their gratitude to the management of participating teams’ universities, team leaders and students, who actively participated in the Olympiad, as well as congratulating the participants-winners of XIІ Republican Student Specialization Olympiad. In addition, we congratulate the team of International Kazakh-Turkish University named after H.A. Yassaui which won the right to host the eleventh Republican Student Specialization Olympiad .