The "Tourism" department of L.N. Gumilyov ENU has been renamed on the basis of the Department of Marketing and Commerce since 2007. Currently, the department carries out the model of three-step credit education system according to the Bologna Declaration: 5B090200 - Tourism (Bachelor), 6M090200 - Tourism (Master), 6D090200 - Tourism (Doctorate).
The department of "Tourism" employs highly qualified teachers, who are the authors of a number of scientific works in the field of organization of tourism activities in the country. So, out of 33 teachers of the department, 2 teachers have a doctoral degree in economics, 1 Doctor of Geographical Sciences, 2 doctor of PhD and 11 candidates of sciences, 11 masters.Currently 623 students, 22 master students and 5 doctoral students study in the department.
In the 2015-2016 academic year the department involved state bodies, business organizations and employers in the educational process to improve the teaching the students of the three-level program. Moreover, three-level programs for the 2016-2017 academic year have been upgraded to more than 40 percent of training programs, taking into account current economic and other changes, employers' demands and recommendations from business representatives. In 2017, the educational programs were upgraded, in which the main requirements to the specialists were introduced on basis of the draft Professional Standard (by National Chamber of Entrepreneurs of the Republic of Kazakhstan "Atameken").
Today all subjects, considered for studying, are provided with appropriate educational-methodical tools, in particular, teachers of the department developed and approved teaching-methodical complexes of disciplines, define schedule of individual work, developed recommendations on organization of industrial (professional) practice.
Teachers of the “Tourism” department develops educational programs and proposes research projects. Also the department invites civil servants and representatives of foreign and domestic business in the framework of educational and scientific events to read lectures:
- - Ministry of Investment and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- - Department of Tourism of Akmola region;
- Hotel «Radisson Astana»;
- «Marriot Astana hotel»;
- «Hostels Association of Kazakhstan»;
- "Caravaners’ Club of Kazakhstan " Public Association;
- Hotel «Hilton Garden Astana» ,
- Hotel «Rixos President Astana»;
- Hotel Diplomat and others;
Nowadays, the department boosts international cooperation in the field of education and science, in particular, links with educational institutions of the following countries:
- Xinjiang University, Institute of Tourism (PRC) - creation of double diploma education program, academic mobility program, exchange of experience, scientific training programs, creation of Tourism Research Center;
- University of Renmin, Institute of Economics (PRC) - academic mobility program, exchange of experience, scientific internship programs, opening of Kazakh-Chinese Center for Economic Research, joint scientific projects, signing of bilateral cooperation agreements, etc.
Video about the Department of TOURISM